HK: FOODIE PT II

6:52:00 PM

I guess I've been neglecting this post long enough… It has been about six months since my last Hong Kong trip and about four months since I started this post and eventually saved it as draft and forgot about it altogether…

Anyway. I'm too excited to tell you that I'll be returning to the land of XLBs in less than 14 day's time, which prompted me to finish up this post and kinda immerse myself in the whole HK mood once again. For those who have not read my previous posts on Hong Kong, here they are: TRIP, FOODIE PT I.

- - - - - 

I think in the other post I stopped somewhere about fried chicken I had in Ocean Park… Even looking at the website makes me excited. I love Ocean Park! The rides, game stalls, souvenirs and even the short animated tram ride connecting to the other park. Love, love, love! Gonna make sure I explore the entire park this time round and play all the rides! 





… Okay sorry I kinda went off track I'm supposed to talk about food. I did everything I could in Ocean Park and when I got back to Mongkok I was absolutely FAMISHED! It was already pretty late so we roamed around Langham Place and entered whichever eatery that appealed to us… Such as the one below. 



Mum is very unadventurous when it comes to food so she opted for the set meals. Things like Yang chow fried rice and stuff… Yeah. Apparently it wasn't too fantastic and the crazy 35 minutes waiting time was enough to put off anybody's appetite I guess. This restaurant is situated at a traffic junction near Langham Place, it's pretty big so you can't possibly miss it. They sell things like roast meat too, wonder if it's good?



I LOVE THIS DIMSUM STALL THE MOST MOST MOST!!! I liked it so much that I went there everyday I'm in Hongkong and checked in, so much that I became the Mayor of this place. HAHAHAHHA /kuazhang

The dimsums are a little overpriced I guess. I'll usually rack up about HKD50 or so each time I buy stuff and that equates to about S$8? That's A LOT considering they aren't exactly meals… But whatever I spend all my money on such things anyway.


Yah I walk my hands shake like nobody's business end up all the roe scattered everywhere but on my siewmaiz.

ANYBODY REMEMBERS THIS?! Woah I love the lemon coke… Light just made it better. 

Fried rice I spoke of 4 pictures up.


Lame pictures of my unwrapping the awesome AWESOME AWESOME lotus rice. I love glutinous rice and I cannot lie… As you can see from my body yeah too much RICE SOMEBODY TELL ME I EAT TOO MUCH RICE. /crazyrant







I don't know how the HK people can have so much for breakfast… Macaroni and toast and egg??? It's just HKD36 for the entire set man… Pretty filling but bland oh well can't get the best of both worlds can you? Hahah but the lady boss was super nice! It was raining and the 3rd umbrella that we bought broke (TOUGH LUCK!!!) so she offered to lend us one, how nice!!! We didn't take it la cos if return like have to buy food from her and I wanted to try something different so… Yeah mum and I braved the rain and took the train to somewhere I forgot to take the ferry to Zhu Hai! 


The Starbucks in HK has peppermint flavour all year long, happy me went to get a cup while waiting for the ferry… Like going to Batam ah but IT'S CHINA YO, 中国啊!!!!!!!! Arrived at 珠海 within 45 minutes and I must say it's really quite difficult to get around if you don't have transport there (duh which traveller does actually) and want to get to a mall because the port that I arrived at (九州港??) is a cab ride away from 拱北地下商城 Gong Bei Underground mall… A lot of taxi drivers will be at the arrival gate to peddle their services they scare me a little… And I don't dare to board their cabs lest I get scammed so I walked in the rain to the cab stand and waited for 20 minutes before getting one. At least the driver was nice enough and dropped us at the right place. 

A better Zhuhai day trip guide can be found here.



Had hotpot at Gongbei Underground Mall… I think the shop name is called something like 面牵一线, pretty good and it's cheap!!!!!!!! Had bubble tea in a cup submerged in a bowl of ice and kimchi hot pot while mum had corn creamy soup. Added on two plates of (thinly sliced to perfection) pork and we're good to go.










Nothing much to do in Zhuhai actually… Other than shopping and a bit of sightseeing which I did not do. HAHA! Wanted to visit the replica of the 圆明园 Summer Palace but we didn't have enough time so I gave it a miss… Really sad about it. I love the whole chinese culture! 

I'd love to try the street food in China this round but unfortunately with the whole H7N9 saga I'd better give it a miss… Who knows? I may be unlucky enough and end up as the contagion/carrier of the virus back to Singapore. CHOY!


Returned to Hong Kong and managed to wander to a random Watami Restaurant in a Hotel-like building at Tsim Sa Tsui and the feast began! Hehe. Everything is about half the price of what they have in Singapore and the menu had more variety too! My favourite would definitely be the pan-seared scallops despite it being pretty small… It was so heavenly! So many of them for just S$8?! Anytime, man.











(This is proof that I can eat 10 hargows/siewmais a day and not get sick of it.)

(Mum is a fan of this imitation shark fin soup from 7-11. Crunchy black fungus… I love!!!)

(EVERYBODY LOVES VITASOY! Right??)





Our super breakfast before we set off for Star Avenue on the last day of our trip… I am forever a fan of this 炸两 dough fritters wrapped by CCF. FOREVER! Even that version they have at Canton Paradise can't fight this one I had at the nearby breakfast stall at Mongkok. :( Had beef slice porridge while mum had some fried chicken porridge… Innovative ah these people. Haha!


Curry fishballs from this lonely uncle's stall somewhere near the Star Avenue. Look like takopachi hor? 

After touring the really touristy Star Avenue we settled for dinner at McDonald's… Typical tourist fare right? Haha! I make it a point to try out McDonald's everywhere I go. Different menu, different taste!









Verdict: it actually tastes pretty much the same… Wish they had the Ebi burger in Singapore though. It's different from what they have at MOS Burger, this one is coated in more batter and the prawns are less defined but I really love the taste of it! 

Last few hours in Hongkong and I was quite depressed so I headed out with mum to grab some heavy brunch… As you can see from the pictures below. Haha!



Also I realized I had A LOT of shrimp wonton noodle soup in Hong Kong… Still can't forget the one I had in Temple Street though. It was a really random street so I'm not very confident to find it this time round. I'll still try though, and if I manage to I'll definitely instagram the hell out of the place. Teehee!

I get hungry really easily. HAHA! Was a little early for my flight back to Singapore and I had a few dollars (plus a few hours) to burn at Chek Lap Kok Airport so… I ate again! Missed these instant noodles in Taiwan so I grabbed myself a bowl. This is what the fatty is made of! Hahaha.




And that concludes my foodie adventure in Hong Kong. Not very adventurous I must say, but it was good enough for my first trip to Hong Kong. I love that place! Gonna do more exploring this time round and document my trip on my trusty iPhone 5! 

On a side note: 9 more days to my Korea trip and 14 days to Hong Kong.
EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You Might Also Like

0 comments