#hoyeahHKG

11:22:00 PM


It's HKG again after two long years!

I haven't been to Hong Kong much or remember much of it because I've always seemed to do the same-old same-old things there... Think Argyle Centre/Mongkok, Causeway Bay, Tsim Sha Tsui and Ocean Park... So I was pretty excited to be back.

So... This trip, I finally went to new Cha Chan Teng-s (CCT, eateries in HKG) and shopped at new places. 

I did a really short 3 day trip over the weekends. Take 1 day annual leave and you're good to go! Here are my flight details for reference. It is an overnight flight landing in HKG at 5+am and departing 8pm arriving in SIN around midnight on return. 

I paid about S$280 and booked my tickets about 10 days prior to the trip. Pretty good deal! 

Cathay Pacific // oneworld // 17-19 Apr
- CX714 / CX715
- Direct flight. 20kg checked baggage, 10kg carry-on.
- Boarding gate (Gate 1) is right after immigration.


So where did I go this time and what do I have to share with you guys? You must've seen it around in the other blogs but! Here goes!


Resting at Harbour City at 11am because we barely got shut-eye on the flight. I was drifting in and out of sleep... When I finally (sorta) fell asleep... 

"Cabin crew prepare for landing."

#okaycan



Not a famous dumpling store I guess but the dumplings are HEAVENLY!

I am really into these dumpling things so I was super ecstatic when I chanced upon these. It was right beside the A22 bus stop towards HKIA in Austin so if you're staying in the area, you won't miss it.

The shop name is '锅贴大王'.

Pan-fried then steamed dumplings at about HKD3 a pop. YUM! No points for guessing who inhaled 3 dumplings in a minute. HAHA.



Agnes B Cafe at Harbor City (I think). Same old! I ordered the Rose latte + the Spinach & Mushroom Quiche. The food and coffee is not fantastic but the location is great to take a rest from all the shopping I guess...



Famous “菠蘿油” at 金華餐室. This costs about HKD18 each and is loaded with a slice of butter in the middle. Crispy shell toasted to golden brown on the outside and fluffy soft bread on the inside... I'm not usually a bread person but this was pretty good! 

Kam Wah Cafe is located at 47 Bute Street, in between Prince Edward / Mongkok station, about 10mins on foot from either. 

Go early, we went at 8pm and the bun was sold out (duh) but returned at 10am the next day for this. Worth the return visit but please just limit yourself to one.


The last night in HKG, we wandered to Australian Dairy Company for milk pudding/supper but it was packed! Guess it must be the timing... So we went to the wanton noodle store beside it. 

“麥文記麵家” we went to is located in Jordan area. Right next to ADC, you won't miss it. You can even see its signboard from the pic below.

We had the classic Wanton Noodles. Despite the HKD32 price tag, it was well worth it as it came with FOUR HUGE DUMPLINGS that had a full size prawn in it! Something that you probably won't get in SG? 

The portion looked small at first but it was just nice for a moderately hungry adult. The soup was pretty delicious too (MSG??) so I couldn't help but to finish it all. 

Sorry, hair.

Took picture of ADC cos we didn't manage to eat there again so........ We went back next morning. Haha!


So we had the Macaroni with Ham pieces + Sandwich + Scramble eggs + coffee at only HKD32. So cheap and pretty tasty!

The macaroni soup is pretty salty so I loved it. Reminds me of Maggi Chicken Stock that I used to put in my instant noodles, hehe. The elbow macaronis also had a different texture... Like it was made of soft noodle dough?? Instead of... Wheat powder I don't know what I'm trying to say here but yeah it is softer and not as chewy as regular pasta. 

We didn't try the steamed egg custard lah cos how to eat so much, will explode you know.

Wasted right???


Australian Dairy Company is located at 47 Parkes Street. Exit C2 from Jordan Station and walk straight all the way. You should see some kind of Temple Street entrance across the road, then turn your head back and lookout for Bowring Street. If you're on Bowring Street, turn your head left at the traffic light and ADC is located in the lane to your left. 

Then one fine day my friend brought me to this famed CCT for breakfast where they are known for their “豬扒丁丁面” and “豬扒包”. 

I'm not a pork person so I opted for the chicken cutlet. You see, it comes with seasoned minced leek (yum!!!!!) at the side and a dollop of boiled cabbage, drizzled with some kinda secret recipe soy sauce. So delicious! This was easily the best meal I had in HKG. The set (main + drink) goes for about HKD40. I think it's worth every single dollar we paid. The cutlet was so juicy and tasted so much like Taiwanese chicken cutlet thing-o. A bit heavy for breakfast BUT WHO CARES.

After feeling stuffed to the brim from the noodles set, I was not convinced to pay HKD28 for a cutlet bun but after taking a bite, it's easy to understand why. 

Soft white bun enveloped the juicy and flavorful pork cutlet, which I assume was marinated in some kind of sauce for a while, accompanied by some tangy tumeric/yellow ginger blended mayonnaise that was similar to mustard but with a sweet-ish taste to it. I'm such a sucker for anything mayonnaise.

“蘭芳園” is located at 2 Gage Street, Central, Hong Kong. It is about 10 minutes walk from Central MTR Station.


The last 'new' thing that I chanced upon was this Jenny Bakery cookies. 

Rich, buttery handmade cookies nestled in a round tin characterized by a teddy bear print on the lid. 

They go for about HKD70 per small tin and HKD120 for the large tin (2 layers). Normally, you would have to queue for about 2hrs to get your hands on these. Which I think is crazy!

We were rather lucky cos we happened to be in the area, walked in and managed to buy two tins each. The entire process took less than 3 minutes. If I had to queue I would probably chance it. Haha! 

Jenny Bakery is located at Mirador Mansion, Ground Floor, Shop 24. Take the MTR to Tsim Sha Tsui Station, exit D2. Next to those tailors, very easy to spot. 

Do take note that there are many, many counterfeit products and you should only buy at the actual store itself. Think about it this way, if you're already going to pay HKD70 for a tin of butter cookies, make sure you get the real deal.


Ending the post with a pic of HKG's skyscrapers (for the lack of a better word) against the almost-stormy skies because I miss any weather other than the humid, hot mess we have in SG. 


Next up, TPE!


You Might Also Like

0 comments